The Lovejoy High School Wind Symphony is conducted by Mr. Heuer, and is the varsity band at Lovejoy High School. The Wind Symphony is devoted to studying and performing a variety of band literature: orchestral transcriptions, basic band repertoire, multi-movement works and contemporary wind band compositions. Membership is based on a rigorous and comprehensive audition held each spring semester. LHS Band students who achieve the highest audition scores for their instrument, grades 9-12, are eligible for membership in an ensemble. Seating is based on audition scores. The course will offer weekly lessons provided by our private instructors. The bands will perform at least two public concerts each during the school term in addition to the UIL State Band Contest.
All members of the LHS Wind Symphony are expected to:
- PRACTICE on a regular basis (Band Music, Scales & assigned Lesson materials)
- Participate in LESSONS on a regular basis
- Prepare your band music to the best of your ability. You are expected to have all your notes/rhythms learned outside of class/rehearsals. This is your HOMEWORK for Band class - regular practice on your band music! Daily class rehearsals are for MAKING MUSIC and putting it all together as an ensemble - NOT for “learning your notes.”
- Prepare and perform a SOLO for the annual Solo & Ensemble Contest
- Prepare and perform a large ENSEMBLE (during class) for the annual Solo & Ensemble Contest
- Serve as an example of musical excellence
- Strive to be a "role model" and LEADER in the LHS Band program - someone who consistently demonstrates a positive attitude, outstanding work ethic and pride in all of our musical organizations at LHS - with a positive attitude (never arrogance or condescension).
- Work together with everyone in the group to make the entire experience fun, challenging and focused on making music at the highest level of our potential!